The following is an overview of the ocular disease residency at EELC. These are guidelines for the program year and the requirements for completion.
CLINICAL HOURS & PATIENT CARE
- Monday through Friday when the offices are open and staffed by doctors. Typically 8am to 5pm. Goal to achieve is approximately 1200 direct patient visits with various advanced disease aspects.
- Saturday hours corresponding to emergency call service schedule. Emergency call Service.
- Resident must maintain patient log showing level of interaction, diagnosis, testing, and complexity.
- Supervision Protocol: Residents will see patients with the EELC Eye Doctors. Expectations and autonomy will change and grow as the year and resident abilities progress in three phases.
- Regular rotations with retina, cornea, glaucoma and other specialists. Residents will work directly with the specialist and follow through on the interesting patients. Resident should attempt to review specialists’ charts the night before a clinic session.
- Program Length: 54 Weeks Starting in September.
- Stipend: $54,080
- Empire Eye and Laser Center Benefits available to Resident: Health, Dental, Basic Life, and Flex
- Paid Leave: PTO/CE: 2 weeks and compensated professional meeting time is granted
- Holidays: All Standard holidays as recognized by Empire Eye and Laser Center
- License & Malpractice Insurance: Paid for one year
- Residents must maintain activity log tracking research, didactic and scholarly activities.
- Observation of surgical procedures: cataract, lid, refractive, glaucoma, retinal/vitreous as permitted with scheduling.
- In office Lectures/Grand Rounds for providers & residents given by EELC eye doctors.
- Case reports to EELC eye doctors on a quarterly basis.
- SSCO Case Report/Lecture.
- Participate in a state and local society meetings. Various agendas and meetings, organizational and educational duties.
- EELC Outreach lectures.
- Minimum of one publishable quality paper or poster per quarter.
- Attendance at one National CE Conference: typically AAO or AOA.